Let me guess! Your Co-op group has a gaping hole. The mom who agreed to teach a course has bailed. Arrgghh! In a moment of insanity, you stepped up and agreed to teach. Good for you! Do you need a background in the subject to teach it? Nope. It’s nice! I had college literature, but was not an English major. The first time I taught Brit Lit, the school had a hole in the schedule and I was available to teach. The most important aspect of teaching is willingness to both learn and teach.
Anytime you teach a class for the first time expect moments of sheer terror. What if they ask me a question I don’t know? They might! Google it. Right then, in class. Repeat after me, ‘What a great question! I have no idea. Let’s see.’ Yes, you will have days when you feel as though you are drowning. You aren’t. Instead you are going to do another Google search.
Do your homework. While I’ve taught Brit Lit a few times, I’m no expert. I use a textbook! The first time you teach any course, try to use a textbook! Follow it verbatim! Read the lesson. The first lesson we do is Beowulf. Why is it important? See what critics say. I researched a little about the Anglo Saxon period to put the lesson in context. Why was Sutton Hoo significant? Look at other teachers’ lessons. Make decisions. Do you want to listen to an excerpt? Select a few activities. I want to assign Beowulf’s Resume.
Try to determine a pacing guide. For example, I use Master Books British Literature, which has 34 lessons, one lesson each week or 34 weeks. There are also 31 additional books and readings. This may take us two years. We may not read all 31 additional pieces of literature. In other words, we may not complete all of this. Frankly, the teens in my class struggle enormously. The course was pretty daunting when I had exceptionally strong students! All of this is normal. You, the teacher, will face choices. How much of the textbook can you reasonably cover? Try for two-thirds. (This is the MODG standard for any textbook, for any class, in order to receive credit. I consider MODG as the gold standard.)
Take a big breath. You are going to experience imposter syndrome. Some lessons are going to bomb. There will be moments you bang your head on the table or door. All normal. There are also going to be sparks of insight. Quote an expert! If I can’t quote Tolkien or C.S.Lewis who can I quote? You’ll come across an especially interesting idea. One of your lessons will resonate with the class. Yes, you can do this! Teach your first class! Warning! Teaching is addictive! You’ll want to continue!
No comments:
Post a Comment