You’re home-schooling for a reason. Families want the best for their children. Teach your class the way you want. For a couple years I taught French for the local Co-op. Yes, we used a textbook. But we also set aside time each month to cook. We watched Magnolia’s workshop episode to learn how to make a French Omelet. We made Bûche de Noël. We started class with French prayers and sang Joyeux Anniversaire. (We picked our favorite YouTube version and sang along.) The class had content, dictations, quizzes; but we played bingo to learn the numbers. (Of course there were candy prizes!). The kiddos learned classic French songs. We read bits of Le Petit Nicolas. Have you ever read Dr. Suess in French? It’s a hoot! Okay, then there was the part where I learned MODG required teens who took a foreign language to take a test. (Catherine explained she had to test.) The test was entirely grammar! Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh! At the end of the year, we had a cram session. Yes, I had taught some grammar—but not the entire class! Back to my point. It’s your class. You can teach it the way you want.
No comments:
Post a Comment