Monday, September 14, 2026

Don’t let the cost of a microscope deter you from including microscope slides in your Biology course!

  Just like the other expensive equipment, parents balk at buying a microscope. Some families sketch the image from an online image. Noooooo! Yes, decent microscopes can be run hundreds of dollars.   I think kiddos should have the experience of focusing and sketching slides—not just looking at the image online.  There are affordable solutions!

Does your library have a microscope?  They might!  Ours does!  They may or may not have microscope slides.  You may need to use the microscope at the library.  BTW I don’t think you have to use the specific slides recommended by Apologia.  It’s more important your kiddo gets a microscope experience.  A set of 25 prepared slides has enough variety for a high school Biology course.

Another option is a clip-on or zoom lens for any cell phone.  Do you have an old cell lying  in a drawer?  Use it!  Clip-on microscopes are around $10-20.  Your kiddo will get the experience of focusing, taking a screenshot, and sketching the image.  




Another choice is a USB Microscope, which runs about $20-30.  They attach to a laptop or a Chromebook.  Again, teens focus the microscope, snap a screenshot, and sketch the image.  I have a box of these microscopes.  Kiddos bring their devices.  Some brands work better with a laptop; others interface with a Chromebook.  I can’t get any to connect with an iPad.  





Do I use traditional microscopes?  Yes!  Typically, we set up every variety of microscope and have teens use all of them.  I have an adapter for a traditional microscope which allows students to position their cell phone and capture the image.  My favorite brand is Amscope.  The one immediately below is around $100 and includes a few slides.  Yes, we use kiddie microscopes, such as My First Microscope, too.  I can’t recommend buying a used microscope at eBay or Good Will. Have I tried?  Oh yes!  It’s been a very mixed bag.   If you have a microscope slide, test any used microscope from the thrift store.  







Can you tell I am passionate about this topic?  Don’t blow your budget!  Do sketch microscope slides

No comments:

Post a Comment